Blueberry Bluray: characteristics of varieties and subtleties of cultivation
Blueberry is a small fruit shrub rich in delicious blue-gray berries, which belongs to the Cowberry family. The Blueberry variety Bluray, which appeared as a result of American selection in 1955, is becoming increasingly popular among gardeners due to its positive characteristics, which are described in more detail in the article.
Description of Blueberry Bluray
This variety of blueberries has its own distinctive external features. To understand that this is exactly the Bluray variety, it is necessary to study its botanical description:
- Bush. Blueberry Bluray has the appearance of an erect, tall, sprawling bush. Usually shrubs reach a height of 1.8–2 m. The bush is quite wide, with powerful branches. In winter, the stems are reddish.
- Sheet. The dark green leaves of the Blueberry blueberry have a round-elliptical shape, the size of which reaches 8–9 cm. In autumn, the foliage acquires an attractive red hue.
- Flower. The flowers of the crop in question appear in May. They are white or pale pink, bell-shaped and have a slight wax coating.
- Fetus. Following the flowers, the berries ripen (from mid to late July - early August), which have a light blue color with a glossy finish. The size of the berries is large - 17–21 mm, weight - 2–2.8 g. Fruit brushes are small, but quite dense. The fruits have a dense pulp, therefore, resistant to cracking. Blueberry berries have excellent taste and pleasant aroma. The average tasting score is 4.3.
Taste and healing properties of blueberries depend on its biochemical composition. Due to its rich composition, Bluray is considered one of the promising varieties of blueberries.
An analysis of the chemical composition of the variety in question revealed such indicators:
- soluble solids (RSV) - 15.3%;
- acidity - 0.9%;
- the amount of sugars - 3.7%;
- ascorbic acid - 9.6 mg / 100 g;
- fiber - 2.4 g.
In addition, the fruits do not contain starch, trans fats and cholesterol.
Did you know? Due to its constituent elements, blueberries are considered an excellent food coloring. If juice from this berry gets on the fabric, it is very difficult to wash it off.
BZHU of the plant in question has the calculations (per 100 g):
- proteins - 1% of the daily norm;
- fats - 0%;
- carbohydrates - 5%.
Blueberry berries Bluery rich in various vitamins of these two groups:
- Fat soluble vitamins. This category includes vitamins A, E, K and beta-carotene.
- Water soluble vitamins. Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B9, and C can be distinguished from this category.
Fruits are also rich in such minerals (macro- and microelements):
Useful properties and contraindications
Like any fruit plant, Blueberry Blueberry has both beneficial properties and contraindications.
- The benefits of this culture can be characterized thanks to the following facts:
- berries and leaves are used as an anti-inflammatory agent;
- the fruits are a good antipyretic;
- blueberries have restorative and tonic properties;
- a plant (berries and leaves) has a good effect on the cardiovascular system (lowering cholesterol, strengthening the walls of blood vessels, lowering blood pressure);
- characterized by excellent ability to remove various radioactive metals from the body;
- the fruits do a good job of lowering sugar, which is suitable for people with diabetes;
- reduces the risk of cancer;
- well affects the work of the digestive tract (improving metabolism; normalizing the functioning of the pancreas);
- blueberry berries improve vision and relieve tension from the eyes;
- fruit juice improves memory;
- the plant prevents premature destruction of nerve cells;
- blueberries are an excellent product for weight loss;
- blueberry leaves can act on the body as a laxative.
In folk medicine, the culture in question is used for the preparation of various medications:
- A decoction of shoots with dysentery and diarrhea.
- A decoction of young tops in diabetes.
- Toning and restoring cold tea from berries and leaves.
- Berry infusion for diarrhea.
It should also be borne in mind that not all blueberries are suitable for all people.
- Among the contraindications to the use of plants are:
- increased blood coagulation;
- individual intolerance to berries;
- possible allergic reaction;
- negative effects on the body with hypotension;
- biliary dyskinesia.
When preparing preparations based on blueberry Bluray according to recipes of traditional medicine, it is necessary to adhere to the correct proportions and consult a doctor so as not to harm your body.
Important! Pregnant women and nursing mothers should consult a doctor before eating berries so as not to harm the baby’s health.
If you follow all the rules for planting Bluery blueberry seedlings, the plant will take root well, will fully develop and bear fruit.
Rules preceding landing include the following steps:
- The correct time frame. The variety Bluray is recommended to be planted in late spring or early autumn. It is permissible to do this in June, but only if you select seedlings in containers.
- Seat selection. Blueberry Bluray loves well-lit places. The selected landing area must be protected from the wind. North winds can damage the culture, so it is advisable to fence seedlings with hedges on the north side.
- The soil. The land should be moderately moist, but without bogging and high groundwater, which can harm the root system and the plant as a whole. The soil should be light and pass air and moisture well. It is recommended to prepare the soil by mixing it with peat and sand.
Video: Planting Blueberries Bluray
Planting blueberries Bluray carried either in wells or in ridges. The first technique provides for such a landing pattern:
- a landing pit is excavated with a size of 0.4 × 1.5 m;
- the addition of a substrate (coniferous, pine sawdust, humus or peat);
- soaking seedlings for 30-40 minutes;
- installation of seedlings in the planting pit, the root neck should be deepened by 7 cm;
Did you know? On unwashed blueberry berries may be pollen of rosemary, which is often adjacent to shrubs of this culture. Contact with this pollen can cause poisoning of the body.
Planting seedlings of the variety Bluray according to the second method is performed as follows:
- the landing pit should be 0.1 × 1 m in size;
- adding to the soil such a substrate, as in the first embodiment;
- plant a seedling at the top, creating a comb.
It is recommended to dig deep trenches for planting Bluurei seedlings on loamy and clay soils.
Subtleties of care and ripening
Berries ripen in late July (3 decades) - early August. Duration of fruiting is up to 15 days. An important condition for good growth and a rich harvest of Bluray is to care for the plant, taking into account all the agronomic subtleties.
Watering and feeding
Blueberry watering should be regular - every 3-4 days. The amount of water is 10 l / bush (in hot, dry weather, the amount of water can be increased).
The plant must be moistened using two methods:
- drip irrigation;
- ordinary watering (for acidification of the soil).
It is advisable to fertilize Blueberry bushes with mineral fertilizer Bluery according to this scheme:
- on a 2-year-old plant - 25 g;
- on a 3-year-old plant - 50 g;
- for a 4-year-old plant - 100 g;
- for a 5-year-old plant - 200 g;
- for a 6-year-old plant and older - 400 g.
The appearance of the plant is the best indicator of the lack of any mineral substances in the culture:
- shrinking berries, slowing plant growth - lack of nitrogen;
- the leaves pressed to the stem, which became purple, are deficient in phosphorus;
- the death of shoots, leaves, spotting on the plant - a deficiency of potassium;
- yellowing and deformation of foliage - calcium deficiency;
- redness of leaf edges - lack of magnesium;
- blue hue of the upper leaves, the dying off of shoots - the absence of boron;
- yellow leaflets with green veins - iron deficiency;
- yellow-white and white leaves - a lack of sulfur.
Soil acidity must be checked. His desired rate is pH 3.5–5. An insufficient and excessive amount of acid becomes a consequence of stopping the development of the bush. From natural acidic fertilizers use sphagnum moss or pine needles.
It is recommended to acidify irrigation water in this way:
- 200 ml of acetic acid solution in 10 l of water;
- 1 tsp citric acid solution in 3 l of water;
- 50 ml of sulfuric acid solution in 10 l of water.
This method will provide a sufficient and constant level of soil acidity for the healthy development of the culture.
Important! You can’t feed the culture with alkaline fertilizers — To do this, use a natural acidic version of moss and needles.
The Blueberry variety Bluray is characterized by high frost resistance (up to –28 ° С). Despite this, gardeners are increasingly preparing plants for wintering - due to temperature changes, strong freezing gusts of wind and other unpredictable changes in the weather during this period.
Bushes withstand frosts in snowy winters, while in snowless low temperatures shoots can freeze
Shelter for the winter consists of the following stages:
- Carefully bend the branches of the bush to the ground, place wire arcs around them.
- When frost sets in, the burlap or non-woven materials are fixed to the arcs. It is not recommended to take a plastic coating.
- As an addition, it is possible to cover fir spruce branches with a small layer of snow.
- Regular snowing throughout the winter, if necessary.
- Analysis of winter shelter in spring and pruning of the tips of the frozen branches of the plant.
The frost resistance of the described crop also depends on peat fertilizer: the more it is, the lower this resistance.
Collection and storage of blueberries
The considered variety of blueberries is characterized by regular high productivity: 6–9 kg per bush. The harvesting process usually begins in the first half of August and lasts for 2 weeks. The plant is harvested mechanically, thanks to the dense peel of the berries they differ in dry separation.
It is only necessary to collect and store the fully ripened berry, which is characterized by a rich blue color and a glossy finish, soft to the touch. Berry picking is recommended a couple of days before storage. Unripe fruits do not have such a rich taste, and especially it is lost after storage.
Blueberries have a short shelf life. At room temperature, the fruit can lie up to three days. When stored in the refrigerator - up to 5-7 days. With proper storage (washed and dried berries spread evenly in a glass jar) berries can retain their marketability for up to 10 days.
Berries should be stored in accordance with the following recommendations:
- the fruits must be intact;
- you can not leave berries with mold;
- berries must be dry;
- blueberries need to be cleaned of debris and insects.
If you need to save the product for the winter, you can use the following techniques:
Pests and diseases
The Blueberry variety Bluray is highly resistant to various diseases. Even if you follow all the rules of agricultural technology, the bush can be subjected to such misfortunes:
- late blight;
- gray rot;
- stem cancer;
- monilial burn;
- phomopsis wilting;
- spider mite.
In the fight against various blueberry infections Bluray preventive chemical spraying is necessary. Fungicides (for example, Trichodermin) are excellent for such purposes. For the destruction of insects, gardeners recommend the use of various insecticides.
All damaged spots on the shoots must be removed, and leaves and branches spoiled by diseases must be disposed of so as not to spread the disease to healthy areas of the crop.
Thus, the Blueberry variety is a garden deciduous shrub, which is characterized by regular and abundant fruiting with large aromatic fruits. Due to their high characteristics, many useful properties and simplicity in agricultural technology, gardeners increasingly prefer this variety of blueberries.