Lingonberry for women's health - benefits and harms
Lingonberry - a perennial evergreen shrub, abundantly branches and reaches a height of 15–20 cm. It grows practically throughout the territory of the former USSR, except for the southernmost and most arid regions. However, this is not just a plant with beautiful, tasty berries, - while walking through the forest, you can see under your feet a real storehouse of vitamins, “health pills”, especially useful for women.
Lingonberry - main characteristics
Low lingonberry shrubs grow mainly in forests, preferring conifers. In addition, the plant can be found in deciduous and mixed forests, in the tundra, in alpine meadows and peat bogs.
Characteristics of berries, branches and leaves
|Vitamins (% of daily intake)||Minerals (in% of the daily norm)|
|A - 1%||potassium - 3.5%|
|b-carotene - 1%||calcium - 2.45%|
|B1 - 0.75%||magnesium - 1.9%|
|B21 - 1.08%||sodium - 0.6%|
|C - 17%||phosphorus — 2%|
|E - 6.6%||iron - 2.3%|
|PP - 1.48%|
Lingonberry berries contain such substances (in 100 g):
- calories - 46 kcal;
- proteins - 0.7 g;
- fats - 0.5 g;
- carbohydrates - 8.2 g;
- fiber - 2.5 g.
In addition, the berries contain a large amount of organic acids (acetic, citric, benzoic, malic, oxalic, formic). Benzoic acid is an excellent natural preservative, thanks to which the berry remains fresh for a long time. There are also tannins in the composition, which contribute to the excretion of salts of heavy metals from the body, after binding them.
Separately, it should be said about the leaves of the plant. The green mass of lingonberries is no less rich in useful substances than its fruits:
- glycosides (arbutin and hyperoside);
- hydroquinone (phenol with antioxidant properties);
- organic acids (ursulic, quinic, gallic, ellagic);
- tannins (tannins, flavonoids, phytoncides);
- lycopene (antioxidant);
Did you know? The name of the species Vitis-idaea is translated from Latin as “vine from Mount Ida” (Ida is a mountain on the island of Crete). This name of lingonberry is found for the first time at two botanists of the 16th century, the Dutchman Rembert Doduns and the Swiss Conrad Gesner.
Due to the rich vitamin composition and a large number of minerals, the fruits and leaves of lingonberries are used in the treatment of many quite serious diseases. Decoctions and infusions of berries are natural diuretics that are successfully used for gout, kidney stones, cystitis. Berries have a catalytic effect that enhances the action of antibiotics and sulfa drugs. They are very useful for taking at temperature, inflammation and for rehabilitation after various diseases.Fruit drinks or berries, grated with sugar, have a diuretic effect, inhibit the vital activity of pathogenic microorganisms. help to eliminate toxins from the body, increase tone, help quench thirst.
In folk medicine, they are used in oncology. The berries normalize the digestive processes, stimulate the secretion of gastric juice, and are especially useful in case of insufficient acidity. It is used as an additional tool to reduce pressure. The high copper content makes the plant a product that is recommended for use in diabetes. In addition, the berry helps with prostatitis and skin diseases.
Did you know? Lingonberry has a very long life - from 100 to 280 years.
- bleeding external and internal;
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- dysentery and other gastrointestinal problems;
- colds, SARS;
- vitamin deficiency, scurvy;
- high blood pressure;
- weak immune system;
- gall bladder problems;
- cystitis and some other kidney diseases;
- dermatological problems;
- infections of the genitourinary system.
Did you know? The first attempts to cultivate lingonberries were made in the middle of the XVIII century. In the 60s of the twentieth century, with the development of botany, genetics and selection, the plants were taken seriously for breeding: as a result, they received cultivated lingonberries, in 20–25 times higher wild-growing yield (up to 55 kg / ha).
Useful properties and contraindications
- Lingonberry foliage and berries have the following beneficial properties:
- removes cholesterol;
- boosts immunity;
- possesses antiseptic properties;
- lowers blood pressure;
- improves eyesight;
- supplies the body with vitamins;
- has a choleretic and diuretic effect;
- It has a mild natural sedative effect;
- stimulates intestinal motility;
- helps with headaches and joint pain;
- suppresses inflammatory processes;
- removes excess moisture from the body, relieves swelling;
- lowers sugar levels;
- introduces toxins and free radicals from the body.
- Contraindications to the use of lingonberries and medicines based on it:
- hyperacid gastritis;
- chronic low blood pressure;
- fresh fruits should not be consumed with stones in the urinary system, stomach ulcer and duodenal ulcer;
- children under three years old;
- individual intolerance and allergy.
Lingonberry for Women's Health
Of course, having a mass of useful qualities, the plant and almost all its parts have found their application in the treatment of some female diseases. In addition, lingonberries are used as a prophylactic and vitamin complex in specific situations peculiar to the exclusively fair sex (pregnancy, menopause).
Indications for use
Women are recommended to eat lingonberries and plant-based products in the following cases:
- pregnancy. In this period of life, which is most important for any woman, lingonberry will help replenish the vitamin reserve, increase immunity. This is an excellent remedy for colds, since most drugs in women are contraindicated in position;
- a decoction of shrub leaves contributes normalization of hemoglobin level. For expectant mothers, the hemoglobin level is an important indicator, since the supply of oxygen to the fetus depends on the content of this protein in the blood;
- it is recommended to eat fruits and decoctions when breastfeedingas a means of preventing mastopathy, lactostasis and other breast diseases;
- leaf infusions are useful for women with genitourinary tract infections;
- eating fruits normalizes the frequency of the menstrual cycle, helps to reduce pain during and after menstruation.
Contraindications and side effects
Contraindications for women are the same as for men, they are indicated above. Of the possible side effects that may occur due to the use of the product in the presence of contraindications, it is worth mentioning the risk of exacerbation of such diseases:
- urolithiasis disease;
- chronic hypotension.
The use of lingonberries
The following are the most common women's health problems in which eating lingonberries can bring relief.
Important! Morseberry juice and cranberry juice are an excellent tool for relieving a hangover syndrome and eliminating alcohol decay products from the body.
With cystitis and urinary tract diseases
Lingonberry contains arbutin - a glycoside, which, as a result of metabolism, becomes hydroquinone. If it gets into the kidney tissue with blood, it irritates it, as a result of the kidney, urine is produced in large volumes, which quickly and often fills the bladder.Accordingly, there is a need for more frequent urination.
The pathogens of cystitis, as well as the products of their vital activity (dangerous toxins) and cellular decay, go with urine. Cystitis and diseases of the urinary canals are a serious problem for both women and men. But due to the physiological characteristics of the body (the urinary tract of women is shorter and wider than the male, which makes them an easier target for pathogens), women are more susceptible to these diseases and it is more difficult to treat them.
Perhaps one of the most famous and commonly used properties of a plant is its ability to relieve swelling. The diuretic and decongestant qualities of decoctions and infusions are closely related, if you do not go deep into the mechanism of action of the funds, we can say that they effectively remove excess fluid from the body.It would seem that the delay in the body of excess moisture is not such a serious problem. However, this is not so: swelling may indicate problems with the kidneys, varicose veins, preeclampsia and other problems. During pregnancy, swelling can lead to serious consequences, up to fetal hypoxia and termination of pregnancy.
To get rid of the swelling of a more or less healthy person is usually not difficult, which cannot be said of women in position. Pregnant women, as you know, should not take most medications. In this case, the best possible way, lingonberry, decoctions and infusions based on it are suitable.
One of the most effective natural remedies that help restore the body after fever, colds, viral and bacterial infections is the juice of fresh plant fruits. Besides the fact that the product lowers the temperature, it quenches thirst well and relieves headaches. Diuretic properties contribute to the rapid elimination of bacteria, their toxins and cell breakdown products from the body.To reduce body temperature, often use decoctions and tea-based plants. They are used in separate decoctions, or as part of collections, together with the fruits and leaves of raspberries, currants, sea buckthorn, etc.
As a blood pressure normalizer
As a means of normalizing pressure, apply all parts of the plant in any form:
- fresh, soaked and frozen fruits;
- berry decoctions;
- infusions of leaves.
The easiest method is to eat fresh fruits. If you eat 30–40 g of berries daily in the mornings, after 3-4 weeks notice positive changes. However, you should not stop - the course must be continued. In summer and autumn, eat fresh fruits, then soaked, frozen, after which comes a turn of decoctions and infusions. The soaked berry is especially useful for reducing pressure - it can be stored for a long time and has an effective action.
As a regulator of hypo- and vitamin deficiency
A large number of vitamins and minerals in the composition, as well as good shelf life and transportability of berries (benzoic acid contributes to good preservation), make them real multivitamins of natural origin. Use fruits, fruit drinks, broth and infusion.
An excellent tool to help fill the spring deficiency of vitamins are berries, grated with sugar. For the preparation of such a product, you can use exclusively cowberry fruits, or rub them together with raspberries, blackcurrant, honeysuckle, black elderberry or sea buckthorn. All of these berries are not only rich in vitamins, but also are natural immunomodulators.
Cosmetology, and not only amateur, but also professional, has long adopted plants rich in vitamins and minerals. Lingonberry was no exception. Decoctions of fruits are used in cosmetology in such cases:
- hair loss;
- the appearance of dandruff;
- inflammatory processes of the skin.
Fruit extract, rich in antioxidants, improves skin tone and elasticity, protects against the aggressive influence of external factors, contributes to the overall strengthening and healing of the skin. Fresh and frozen fruits are used to make masks; they are added to creams as a source of vitamins. Berry-based masks have a moisturizing and anti-aging effect, prevent the formation of wrinkles and tighten the skin.
Lingonberry for women after 50 years
Eating lingonberries after reaching the age of fifty, in the absence of contraindications, is recommended for both men and women. Age-related diseases associated with the cardiovascular, digestive system, etc., are also treated with the help of the plant, however, it should be said separately about the use of the product exclusively for women's health.
With the onset of menopause, the use of decoctions, infusion and tea from leaves and berries, help get rid of nervousness, have a beneficial effect on the overall emotional state, including due to the relatively high content of B vitamins.In addition, lingonberry-based products stimulate blood circulation, significantly reducing the likelihood of venous congestion.
Broths help reduce excessive sweating, helping to remove excess moisture in other ways. The fruits of the plant contribute to the removal of inflammation of a gynecological nature of various origins. For example, douching with lingonberry decoction quite effectively helps with candidiasis.
There are many different recipes for the preparation of medicinal decoctions and teas that help with various diseases. One of them is a universal decoction, which allows you to quickly recover after an illness, removes the effects of fever, and increases immunity.
To prepare a decoction, the following ingredients are needed:
- lingonberry leaves - 20 g;
- lingonberry berries - 10 g;
- fruits of anise ordinary - 20 g;
- leaves of coltsfoot - 20 g;
- linden blossom - 20 g;
- raspberry fruit - 20 g.
Prepare a drink as follows:
- Mix all the ingredients well - you get an effective antipyretic collection.
- Pour 20 g of the collection into a 0.5 l glass jar, pour boiling water, put in a water bath.
- After half an hour, remove from the bath, cool to a comfortable temperature (+60 ... + 70 ° C), strain.
- Drink the resulting broth shortly before bedtime. Duration of the course - until complete recovery.
Lingonberry fruit drink
In order to make fruit juice from lingonberries, you will need:
- berries - 0.5 kg;
- water - 1 l.
Did you know? Lingonberry water, or, as it is called today, fruit drink, mentioned in the famous poem in the verses of the great Russian poet A. S. Pushkin «Eugene Onegin».
- Rinse the fruits well, place in an enamel pan, knead with a fork. Pour 1 liter of water, bring to a boil.
- After boiling, pour in a container with the contents of 4 tbsp. l with a hill of sugar, mix.
- Reduce the intensity of the fire to a minimum (so that the contents are barely boiling), cook for another 15–20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool. Take 1/2 or a whole glass 2-4 times a day.
Video: Cooking cranberry juice
The tool helps with cystitis, reduces pain during menstrual cycles. There are a large number of recipes for preparing lingonberry broths, we present two of them, classic and multi-herb.
For a classic decoction you will need:
- shredded sheet - 2 tbsp. l .;
- water - 400 ml.
Preparing a decoction is very simple:
- Rinse the brewing tank with boiling water, cover the leaves.
- Boil water, pour into a container with contents, cover, put on a water bath.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the bath, insist another 30 minutes.
- After the specified time, strain the broth, take 1/2 cup three times a day, 15 minutes before eating.
Important! Add honey to a decoction, tea or other drink, both from lingonberry and based on other medicinal plants, should only be after the liquid has cooled to +40 ... + 45 ° С.At a higher temperature, honey completely loses its beneficial properties.
Herbal collection, in addition to the beneficial properties described above, relieves irritation, swelling, cramping, and has a slight sedative effect. In order to prepare such a decoction, you will need the following ingredients:
- lingonberry leaf - 15 g;
- rosehips and hawthorn - 10 g each;
- raspberry fruit - 15 g;
- currant leaves - 5 g;
- water - 0.5-0.6 l.
Prepare a decoction in this way:
- Mix all the ingredients, pour boiling water, put on the smallest fire for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from stove after specified time, cool and strain.
- Drink 1/2 cup with the addition of 1 teaspoon of honey twice a day.
Infusion of twigs and leaves
The infusion is taken as a sufficiently effective diuretic, which also helps to cope with constipation. The drink is useful for problems with the liver, kidneys, gastrointestinal diseases. To prepare the infusion, you need the following components:
- berries - 150 g;
- leaves - 70–80 g;
- water - 0.4 l.
The recipe is very simple:
- Put the water on the fire, as soon as it starts to boil - remove from the stove and let cool.
- When the water cools down to +35 ... + 40 ° С, pour fruits and leaves, cover. After 4 hours, stretch the berries, insist another 3-4 hours.
- Infusion can be drunk 7-8 hours after the start of preparation. Use the product in this way: pour 1/2 cup of the drink through a strainer, drink it before meals (4 times a day). Let the rest of the volume continue, pour each half a glass at a time.
Tea from leaves and berries
Tea made from the leaves and fruits of lingonberries is useful for anemia. To do it is very simple, you will need these components:
- dry leaves of the plant - 30–40 g;
- fruits - 20–25 g;
- water - 0.5-0.6 l.
Tea preparation is as follows:
- Put water on the fire, turn it off immediately, as soon as it starts to boil. Pour the leaves of a plant into a container with water. Let it brew for 5 minutes.
- Rinse tea utensils with boiling water. Put the berries there, knead them. Pour the mashed fruits with the infusion of leaves, cover well, let it brew for another 8-10 minutes.
- After the specified time, strain the tea, drink without sugar. If you want to sweeten the drink, add honey.
Important! Lingonberries and products based on it are useful for gastritis with low acidity, and are contraindicated in the same disease in hyperacid form (acidity is increased). However, before including lingonberries in the diet, in the presence of any gastrointestinal diseases, you should consult a gastroenterologist otherwise you can cause harm to your own health.
Cowberry tea with vitamin deficiency:
- berries - 200 g;
- water - 0.8 l;
- honey - 100 g.
Prepare a drink in this way:
- Mash the fruits, pour cold water, put on fire.
- After boiling, reduce the heat to the maximum, simmer for 5–7 minutes, then remove from the stove and allow to cool.
- When the tea has cooled to an acceptable temperature, strain, add honey, mix.
- The resulting volume of tea to drink throughout the day.
Frozen lingonberries: useful properties and application features
Properly frozen berry does not differ in its useful qualities from fresh. However, for the effective use of fruits, it is important not only to freeze them, but also to properly carry out the reverse procedure - defrosting. In order for the fruits to preserve not only useful, but also commercial and taste qualities, they should be taken out of the freezer for 6-8 hours in the refrigerator. Only such defrosting of the product will maximize its benefit.Further, thawed fruits are used as fresh: they can be eaten raw, made from them juice, fruit drinks, mashed potatoes, fillings for confectionery. In the event that the berry is subjected to heat treatment (decoction, tea), it is not necessary to thaw it completely - immediately place it in boiling water.
It is no coincidence that lingonberries are considered one of the most effective medicinal plants, rich in vitamins and minerals. Shrub and almost all of its parts are especially useful for women's health. Including women in position, due to its mild gentle effect on the body of the future mother and fetus.